12 Jan Sweet Potato Squash Pie
Posted at 20:00h in Recipes [social_share]
|Prep Time||60 minutes|
|Cook Time||50-60 minutes|
- 1/4 cup teff flour
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 2 Tbsp white rice flour
- 2 Tbsp potato starch
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup butter (cold)
- 1 egg large
- 2 Tbsp water (ice cold)
- 1/2 cup ghee (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs large
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (can substitute vanilla extract)
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 cup winter squash puree (such as acorn or butternut)
- 1/2 cup milk (lactose free if needed)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the teff flour, quinoa flour, white rice flour, potato starch, and salt. Stir until well mixed.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is in pea sized crumbles.
- Add the egg and ice water to the mixing bowl. Stir to mix.
- Turn to dough out onto a flour dusted surface or a silicone mat. Kneed until the ball of dough retains its shape and is smooth. Chill the dough for 20 minutes.
- Place the dough in between two pieces of wax paper (or one piece of wax paper and a silicone mat). Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a round shape approximately 1/4 inch thick. If your kitchen is warm, chill the dough for 15 minutes before continuing to the next step.
- Grease a 10 inch pie pan with butter.
- Remove the top piece of wax paper. Turn the crust upside down onto the pie pan. Very gently remove the second piece of wax paper or silicone mat.
- Gently press the dough against the edges of the pie pan so that it takes the shape of the pan. Trim the extra dough from the edges of the pie pan. Use extra dough to fill in any holes or tears in the crust. If your kitchen is warm, store the crust in the refrigerator while you make the filling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the ghee, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Add the sweet potato and winter squash purees to the mixing bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- Add the milk to the mixing bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- Place the pie pan on a baking sheets with edges. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Place the baking sheet with the pie pan on it into the oven. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes until the center of the pie is set.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (non-dairy or lactose free if needed).