30 Jan Savory Sweet Potato Scones
Posted at 20:04h in Recipes [social_share]
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||22 - 25 minutes|
- 1/4 cup smoked sundried tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup quick cook oats
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 3/4 cup ghee cold
- 1/4 cup milk lactose free if needed
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 egg large
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree
- Finely dice the sundried tomatoes and spinach. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a coffee grinder or food processor, grind the oats into a flour.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oat flour, sorghum flour, millet flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until the ingredients are mixed together well.
- Cut the cold ghee into the dry ingredients. This can be done using a fork and knife, with a food processor, or with your hands (if you work fast). The ghee pieces should be the size of peas. Having chunks of cold butter in the dough results in the traditional scone texture.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the milk and cream of tartar.
- Add the egg and sweet potato puree to the milk. Cream the ingredients together.
- Stir the sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture until the flour is mostly moistened.
- Add the sundried tomato and spinach to the mixing bowl. Stir until they are evenly incorporated into the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface or a silicone mat and kneed 3 times.
- Shape the dough into a 6 – 7 inch circle. It should be about an inch tall. Cut it into six pieces, like a pizza. Transfer the scones to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 22 – 25 minutes. The scones should be firm and starting to brown slightly.
- Transfer the scones to a cooling rack. Once completely cooled, store in an air tight container.
Put ghee in the refrigerator a day before you plan to make these scones. The dough can be made and shaped into scones ahead of time, and then frozen. Place the unbaked scones on a parchment lined baking sheet in the freezer for 45 minutes. Then, transfer them to a freezer bag. To bake frozen scones, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake them at 400°F, adding 2-4 minutes to the baking time.