25 Oct Savory French Toast with a Poached Egg
Posted at 20:42h in Recipes [social_share]
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 5 eggs large
- 1/4 cups half and half (lactose free if needed)
- 3/8 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- 4 slices bread (gluten free or slow rise sourdough)
- 1 bunch Swiss chard rainbow, red, or green
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 tsp distilled vinegar
Directions for the French toast:
- In a shallow dish, beat together 1 egg, half and half, ginger, and a dash of salt.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat. Melt 1 Tbsp of ghee.
- Dip the bread one slice at a time in the batter, coating both sides. Only dip the bread, don’t let it soak in the batter. Soaking the bread will result in soggy French toast.
- Cook the French toast for 2 – 3 minutes on each side. Add more ghee to the skillet as needed.
Directions for the Swiss chard:
- Wash the chard well.
- Remove the ribs from the chard. Slice the remainder of the leaves into ½ inch x 1 inch ribbons.
- Place the chard, oil, oregano, and salt in a medium saute pan. Heat over medium high heat.
- Once the chard has wilted, cook for an additional 1 – 2 minutes.
Directions for the poached egg:
- Put 4 – 6 cups of water in a small pot. The water should be about 2 inches deep.
- Add the vinegar and ½ tsp salt.
- Bring the water to a simmer.
- Crack eggs two at a time into two small bowls.
- Using a spoon or other utensil, stir the water to make it swirl.
- One at a time, pour the eggs near the center of the swirl in the water.
- Turn the heat off, and put a lid on the pot. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to carefully remove the eggs from the pot.
- Repeat for the remaining two eggs.
Directions for assembly:
- Place a piece of French toast on the plate.
- Spoon ¼ of the chard on top of the French toast.
- Gently place one egg on top of the chard.
The trick to this dish is timing the three components to be done around the same time. The chard and toast can be kept warm. The poached egg should be plated as soon as it’s ready.
- Top with chopped chives.
- Garnish with a stem of fresh oregano.