17 Feb Turkey Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
Posted at 20:40h in Recipes [social_share]
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||7 hours|
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1/4 cup dried basil
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs large
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 2 batch tomato sauce recipe link below
- 18 oz jarred crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- To form meatballs, place ground turkey, egg, cornmeal, white rice flour, ¼ cup dried basil, dried parsley, and ½ tsp salt in a medium-sized bowl. Mix with a fork until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Coat the bottom of the cooking pot with oil.
- Shape approximately 2 Tbsp of the meat mixture into a meatball, and place it in the cooking pot. Repeat with the rest of meat mixture.
- Cook on the stove top on medium-high heat for 5 minutes to start browning the meat balls. Gently turn the meatballs so that the ones on top are now on the bottom. Cook for another 5 minutes. (If your slow cooker does not have a stove-top browning feature, skip this step or use a stove-top save pot for this step and then transfer the contents in the pot to the slow cooker.)
- While the meatballs are browning, chop the spinach. Set aside.
- After the meatballs have been cooking for a total of 10 minutes, transfer the cooking pot to the slow cooker. Use oven mitts as the cooking pot will be hot.
- Add the tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, dried oregano, and remaining dried basil and salt to the cooking pot.
- Add the spinach on top and put the lid on the cooking pot.
- Cook on low for 7 hours
Any tomato sauce will work for this recipe. Click the link for the ETP recipe for tomato sauce. This recipe was developed using a Crock Pot 6-quart slow cooker with stove-top browning.
- Serve over gluten-free noodles or with zucchini noodles.