17 Feb Split Pea Soup
Posted at 18:58h in Recipes [social_share]
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||9.5 hours|
- 3 cups split peas
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 7 cup water
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 black cardamon
- 5 cloves
- 1 Tbsp dried cilantro
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Pick through the split peas to remove any rocks or sticks. Wash the split peas until the water runs clear.
- Chop spinach.
- Place all ingredients except the garam masala and dried cilantro in the cooking pot.
- Put the lid on the cooking pot. Cook on low for 9 hours.
- Sprinkle in the garam masala and dried cilantro, and stir to mix well. Keep the yellow split peas warm for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
½ cup frozen spinach can be substituted for the fresh spinach. This recipe was developed using a Crock Pot 6-quart slow cooker with stove-top browning.
- Add a side of spicy fried potatoes (ETP recipe)
- Add a side of parsnip fries (ETP recipe)
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh cilantro.