15 Feb Spiced Eggplant with Chard
Posted at 21:15h in Recipes [social_share]
|Prep Time||40 minutes|
|Cook Time||35 - 60 minutes|
- 1 eggplant large
- 1 1/8 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup mint leaves packed
- 1 bunch Swiss chard
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 24 oz whole milk yogurt Green Valley Organics Lactose-Free
- 1 tsp yogurt masala
- Cut the eggplant into quarters lengthwise.
- Thinly slice the eggplant (3/16 inch). A mandeline is helpful.
- Lay the eggplant strips on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt on both sides. Cover with a second paper towel. Let sit 15 – 30 minutes. This will help remove bitterness and water from the eggplant.
- While waiting on the eggplant, finely dice the mint leaves. Set aside.
- When the eggplant is ready to cook, heat a skillet on medium heat. Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- While the skillet is heating, lightly sprinkle one side of the eggplant strips with turmeric and garam masala. 1 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp garam masala will be enough to season all of the eggplant strips.
- Add 1 tsp oil to the pan. Place the eggplant seasoned side down in the skillet. Place as many pieces as will fit on the skillet.
- Cook 2 – 4 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 2 – 3 minutes. Add oil during the cooking process as needed. If the eggplant is white and looks dry, you need more oil. The eggplant will absorb much of the oil.
- Let the cooked eggplant strips rest on a plate covered with a paper towel for 1 minute. It will help draw out excess oil. Then transfer the strips to an oven-safe dish and keep warm in the oven.
- Continue cooking the rest of the eggplant strips the same way.
- Wash the chard well. Remove the ribs from the chard. Slice the remainder of the leaves into ½ inch x 1 inch ribbons.
- Place the chard, 1 Tbsp oil, 1/8 tsp salt, and ginger in a medium sauté pan. Heat over medium high heat.
- Once the chard has wilted, cook for an additional 1 – 2 minutes.
- To assemble the dish, use an 8x8 container or single serving dishes (for meal prepping). Place eggplant strips to cover the bottom. Repeat so that the eggplant layer is two strips thick. Top with 1/3 of the chard. Place another two layers of eggplant on top of the chard. Add 1/3 of the mint. Repeat until all of the eggplant is in layers. Top the dish with any remaining chard and mint.
- Stir the yogurt masala into the yogurt. Serve alongside the eggplant.
If you are meal prepping and do not intend to eat this dish immediately, the eggplant strips do not need to be kept warm in the oven. Turmeric, garam masala, and yogurt masala can be found at an Indian grocery store.
- Serve with naan.
- Drizzle with tamarind chutney (ETP recipe).